Logo
Rodding Roundtable
Home  |  Forums  |  Events  |  Members  |  Webring  |  Tech  |  Merchandise  |  Contact  |  Services
abLinks   |  Want Ads  |  Advertising  
   ForumForum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   AlbumAlbum   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classified AdsClassified Ads Search AdsSearch Ads

Hood Side Panel Fasteners

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Tech Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
34ford
Nobleman

User's Age: (67)

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 14 2007, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Hood Side Panel Fasteners Reply with quote

Couldn't find any aftermarket ones so created my own. Made some L-shaped brackets to mount on the side panels. Cut a long slot in this piece so the panel can be adjusted in or out. I welded mine on but in hind site I wish I would have use some panel adhesive or some other way instead as there was some shrinkage to deal with on the outside of the panel.

Next for the pins I took a 1/4" stainless bolt and put it in the drill and turned it while working it on my bench grinder. You can see the progress from start to finish in the picture. Once the point was finished I polished it up. Put a nyloc nut on the bottom so it would stay in place and not have to deal with it moving up and down while putting on the other one and keep the depth where it needs to be. Couple of oversize washers and a nut and its all finished.

The brackets that mount on the inner fender panel were made with a hole large enough to put in a grommet in so the pins will not rattle or rub metal on metal. Panel with the studs slide into these.

The top of the panels fasten to the brace on top with two allen screws so the removal of a couple of allen screws and the panels can be lifted off and not have to unbolt anything on the bottom.
enjenjo
Site Admin
Site Admin

User's Age: (69)

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 14 2007, 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. And not a big buck deal. I like it.
jusjunk
Paladin

User's Age: (65)

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15 2007, 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the same thing on the 32 but a little different. My pins are on the frame side and are also adjustable there. I first saw thw idea at Louisville when i was getting ready to do my car. I happened to look at a 32 i liked and saw the hood mounts and made a small mental note (small mind) and ran with the idea when i got home.. If i get time ill get a pic of mine.
Dave Arrow

2006 Harley Electra Glide.
Loud Pipes Save Lives !
2 Dogs 1 cat 1 wife..
Aint easy being stupid I practice..................
********Co Founder of Team Smart*
rumrumm
Baron

User's Age: (67)

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15 2007, 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: TECH: Hood Side Panel Fasteners Reply with quote

Brilliant minds think alike, Bob! I did the same thing but like Dave, I have the pin threaded into the top of the frame rail so the hole in the hood tab fits down over it. I like the rubber grommet idea. I used a polypropylene washer made from a piece of leaf spring liner.

"There's no 12-step program for stupid."

http://photo.net/photos/Lynn%20Johanson
UGLY OLDS
Earl

User's Age: N/A

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15 2007, 4:40 pm    Post subject: TECH: Hood Side Panel Fasteners Reply with quote

NEAT Idea Idea Boy, if a guy isn't learning something from all these tech post's , he's gotta be asleep Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
enjenjo
Site Admin
Site Admin

User's Age: (69)

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 15 2007, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardware store has some plastic grommets for light cords that work real good for that.
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Tech Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: