Logo
Rodding Roundtable
Home  |  Forums  |  Events  |  Members  |  Webring  |  Tech  |  Merchandise  |  Contact  |  Services
abLinks   |  Want Ads  |  Advertising  
   ForumForum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   AlbumAlbum   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classified AdsClassified Ads Search AdsSearch Ads

Body mount "nuts"

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Tech Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Chops 1940
Earl

User's Age: (74)

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 06 2007, 9:44 pm    Post subject: Body mount "nuts" Reply with quote

I hate trying to put all the body bolts and nuts in by myself, and also hate calling for help. On the '32 build I also wanted to step-box the frame. I know that a lot of guys just eld a big nut up inside the frame and leave it at that. My experience with that is that I always seem to have to adjust a body hole afterwards.

I made up a bunch of 1/4" blanks 1-1/2" X 2" and beveled one long side to fit the inside upper corner of the frame rails.

I then drilled a 3/8" hole on either side of each body mount hole.

I clamped the blank inside the frame, cranked up the amps and rosette welded the blanks.

I will grind the welds smooth and when I reset the body I will center-punch each body mount hole for drilling and tapping. Centering each tapped hole under each body mounting hole will then allow for minor adjustment ofthe body as might be required.

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!
enjenjo
Site Admin
Site Admin

User's Age: (69)

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 06 2007, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restoration supply has cage nuts, and the cages, they can be welded into the frame too, and allow the nut some movement until it's tightened.
dragrcr50
Knight Regular

User's Age: (68)

PostPosted: Sun, Mar 11 2007, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TECH - body mount "nuts" Reply with quote

Charlie Chops 1940 wrote:
I hate trying to put all the body bolts and nuts in by myself, and also hate calling for help. On the '32 build I also wanted to step-box the frame. I know that a lot of guys just eld a big nut up inside the frame and leave it at that. My experience with that is that I always seem to have to adjust a body hole afterwards.

I made up a bunch of 1/4" blanks 1-1/2" X 2" and beveled one long side to fit the inside upper corner of the frame rails.

I then drilled a 3/8" hole on either side of each body mount hole.

I clamped the blank inside the frame, cranked up the amps and rosette welded the blanks.

I will grind the welds smooth and when I reset the body I will center-punch each body mount hole for drilling and tapping. Centering each tapped hole under each body mounting hole will then allow for minor adjustment ofthe body as might be required.
simple deal charlie, I too always have to make adj with the inserts welded in already
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Tech Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: