Logo
Rodding Roundtable
Home  |  Forums  |  Events  |  Members  |  Webring  |  Tech  |  Merchandise  |  Contact  |  Services
abLinks   |  Want Ads  |  Advertising  
   ForumForum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   AlbumAlbum   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classified AdsClassified Ads Search AdsSearch Ads

Cowl top support

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Tech Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Chops 1940
Earl

User's Age: (71)

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 06 2007, 9:17 pm    Post subject: Cowl top support Reply with quote

I have a brass Duval windshield for my '32 roadster. After I got it fit to the cowl I found that I could make it flex the sheet metal in the center. So I made up a backer to go under the center. I made it out of 16ga and broke over the outside edges. Since I'm always looking for something under there to tie wires or something to, I drilled the edges with a bunch of 1/4" holes.

I then drilled a series of 1/8" holes in the top of the cowl and bolted the backer in place. The rear of it went between the body skin and a stock stiffener at the back edge.

I then rosette welded the backer to the skin, and then ground the welds smooth. It worked - no more flex.

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!
enjenjo
Site Admin
Site Admin

User's Age: (67)

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 12 2007, 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a place to hang wires and so forth. I may use that even without a Duvall windshield.

When I am filling a firewall, on the holes that originally hald the insulation in place, instead of just welding them shut, I weld a 1/4" by 1 1/2" elevator bolt behind the hole. This gives you a way to hang the AC evaporator, firewall insulation, wires, and other things.

Charlie Chops 1940
Earl

User's Age: (71)

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 12 2007, 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that on the firewall of my late (as in don't have it anymore) '55 Nomad.

Charlie

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Tech Archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: