Logo
Rodding Roundtable
Home  |  Forums  |  Events  |  Members  |  Webring  |  Tech  |  Merchandise  |  Contact  |  Services
abLinks   |  Want Ads  |  Advertising  
   ForumForum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   AlbumAlbum   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classified AdsClassified Ads Search AdsSearch Ads

Auto trans question

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kb426
Paladin

User's Age: (64)

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 03 2018, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Auto trans question Reply with quote

My son is looking at an 05 chevy colorado with the 5 cyl and what appears to be a 4l60e trans that is non-functioning. Does it require special tools or knowledge to rebuild one? Is that a bad idea completely? Smile Thank you.
Arnold
Nobleman

User's Age: (63)

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 03 2018, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like knocking other peoples rides/or ideas. I have had a few myself Embarassed Twisted Evil
I have known a few people who have had these..they were not happy. I have talked to people who know these..and fix them. Bad things were said about them. A few things that I do know..around that vintage the headlight assemblies were basically just held in place by rinky dink plastic spacer like gizms that broke. And were dealer only..stupid expensive..like $500 bucks years ago. The aftermarket may have fixed this. I dunno. The rear brakes..something..emergency brake..I dunno..was just an impossible complicated horribly expensive repair. Again..the aftermarket may have fixed that too. Iirc correctly..you had to buy pretty much the entire braking system from the E brake handle right back to the rear all as one assembly. A buddy had one..I needed him to help me move some stuff. I paid him..and his gas. Not much and not much weight went into his Colorado. All highway driving. My loaded 1 ton extended work van and his Colorado used the same amount of fuel Shocked (Both got around 20mpg Cdn at about 95 km/hr.)He said it was not good on fuel Rolling Eyes I don't know about those trans or fixing them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Yrmv. My .02.
Crosley

User's Age: (63)

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 04 2018, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to replace parts or rebuild the trans correctly?

many folks replace parts and call it a rebuild.

It takes tools to set the trans pump correctly (depth gauge micrometers)

The valve body's wear out a few valves and often need service. More tools

Tools to remove internal spring retainers in the drums. Handy folks like yerself can build those tools.

It's not your age, It's the mileage on the body that adds up
Okiedokie
Nobleman

User's Age: (72)

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 04 2018, 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who just sold one he had for several years, he loved it but needed a heavier truck. My grandson has one that was a piece of junk, his mother let a friend of theirs get it at an auction. Anyway I have helped him replace all the brakes, no problem other than worn to the bone. Headlights were cheap on Rock Auto. Plus way too much other stuff, but that is not the trucks fault. Ye they were both 2005 five cylinder auto trans trucks.
kb426
Paladin

User's Age: (64)

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 05 2018, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I have recommended he run the other way rapidly. Smile
32 Chevy
Craftsman

User's Age: (70)

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 05 2018, 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 07 Colorado and have had zero problems other than normal wear. At 107,000 miles it still has the original brakes! It uses no oil and gets 22 mpg hwy. no, its not like my duramax..... keep in mind that GM designed it as a daily commuter type truck, not a carryall. It wont carry thousands of pounds but it sure is comfortable to drive and easy to park.
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: