Logo
Rodding Roundtable
Home  |  Forums  |  Events  |  Members  |  Webring  |  Tech  |  Merchandise  |  Contact  |  Services
abLinks   |  Want Ads  |  Advertising  
   ForumForum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   AlbumAlbum   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classified AdsClassified Ads Search AdsSearch Ads

Flat tow Ford aod trans?

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable
View previous topic :: View next topic  
32 Chevy
Craftsman

User's Age: (69)

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 13 2017, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Flat tow Ford aod trans? Reply with quote

Hiya, I havent posted for a while but continue to lurk. Its amazing what I can learn here by osmosis.

Question: we now have a motor home and I'd like to tow my 56 Ranchwagon as an occasional dinghy behind the landyacht. The '56 is powered by a 5.0 H.O with AOD trans. Does anyone know wether the AOD can be towed 4 wheels down with a tow bar without harming the trans?
kb426
Paladin

User's Age: (64)

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 13 2017, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the answer is no but it's been 15 years since I had one and did research about towing a car with one. Crosley should be along soon.
Crosley

User's Age: (63)

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 13 2017, 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Flat tow Ford aod trans? Reply with quote

32 Chevy wrote:

Question: we now have a motor home and I'd like to tow my 56 Ranchwagon as an occasional dinghy behind the landyacht. The '56 is powered by a 5.0 H.O with AOD trans. Does anyone know wether the AOD can be towed 4 wheels down with a tow bar without harming the trans?

You will destroy the planetary gear train towing it. The drive shaft becomes the power input at the rear of the transmission. No transmission lube oil because the pump is not turning with the engine off

It's not your age, It's the mileage on the body that adds up
wayne petty
Paladin

User's Age: (56)

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 17 2017, 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have some options...

a driveshaft disconnect.. several brands are available.. http://www.swdriveline.com/remco_driveline_disconnect.html

depending on which rear end yoke you have.. old school ford that used straps.. you would need to create something like a yoke style muffler strap to allow the driveshaft to be disconnected at the rear joint and mounted off angle to the yoke type muffler hanger. something like this yoke type.. http://www.cjponyparts.com/single-exhaust-hanger-kit-v8-2-1-4-1968-1970 /p/EXHK12/

i wonder how a 56 ranch wagon will tow with 4 wheels on the ground.. will it follow properly? or will the wheels keep rocking over..

may need to introduce more caster to the front alignment to make it self centering a little better..
32 Chevy
Craftsman

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 18 2017, 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses. I just put new ball joints in so will be having alignment done. The '56 has original suspension with new bushings, sway bar, etc and sits 2" lower than stock because of the Granada spindles. Wheels / tires are 225 -70 / 16.

The car originally had manual steering so there may be a limited amount of caster available. (It currently has a bit of tendancy to wander) components are tight but I always seem to need to add steering wheel input on straight roads.

When I take it to the alignment shop the first thing they ask is what specs I want. Based on your experience, what would you advise for settings?
enjenjo
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 to 2 degrees positive caster with power steering and radial tires, 1/4 degree positive camber, and 1/16" toe in at most.
32 Chevy
Craftsman

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll let you know the result.
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: