Logo
Rodding Roundtable
Home  |  Forums  |  Events  |  Members  |  Webring  |  Tech  |  Merchandise  |  Contact  |  Services
abLinks   |  Want Ads  |  Advertising  
   ForumForum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   AlbumAlbum   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classified AdsClassified Ads Search AdsSearch Ads

spins but does not fire

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WZ JUNK
Baron

User's Age: (68)

PostPosted: Mon, May 15 2017, 10:04 am    Post subject: spins but does not fire Reply with quote

The old truck has taken on an odd quirk. After is sits for a few days, it will crank over as usual, but will not start. When I hook up a battery charger to the battery, and then crank the starter, the engine fires immediately. Afterwards the engine starts as normal until it sits for a few days again.

I am thinking that either the ignition coil of the HEI or the pick up module in the distributor is going bad. It seems like something is needing that extra voltage to make it start. The engine and ignition is your standard factory small block 400 Chevy with HEI.

Any thoughts?

John

Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-2006-Story.html
kb426
Paladin

User's Age: (64)

PostPosted: Mon, May 15 2017, 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the battery voltage 1st. I've seen a battery with enough power to crank but not enough volts to fire the electronic ignition.
BFS57
Nobleman

User's Age: (72)

PostPosted: Mon, May 15 2017, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello;
Had a similar problem with my hot rod! I pulled a plug, hooked it to the wire and grounded it where i could see it then cranked the motor over, it sparked indicating that the fuel supply was the problem!
Found out that someone changed my fuel filter in the rear of the car (some jackass I had doing some work on it) and they replaced it with one of those Mr. Gasket glass filters and didn't tighten it and I also found a "split" in the hose as well! Suckie, suckie, get no gas!!!
Now that I fixed it, it's great!! Starts right up!!

Bruce
papastoyss
Nobleman

User's Age: (70)

PostPosted: Tue, May 16 2017, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb426 wrote:
Check the battery voltage 1st. I've seen a battery with enough power to crank but not enough volts to fire the electronic ignition.
x2, unplug the 12v wire from the distributor & check battery voltage while cranking engine.
View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: