Logo
Rodding Roundtable
Home  |  Forums  |  Events  |  Members  |  Webring  |  Tech  |  Merchandise  |  Contact  |  Services
abLinks   |  Want Ads  |  Advertising  
   ForumForum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   AlbumAlbum   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Classified AdsClassified Ads Search AdsSearch Ads

What are you doing today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251  Next

Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UGLY OLDS
Earl

User's Age: N/A

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John ... Is that the same theory that was used on vehicles in Europe during WWII ?? Something about the "outgassing" from charcoal being used to feed the fuel system ??

Kinda like this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas

Bob... Wink

***** First Member of Team Smart*****
UGLY OLDS
Earl

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note .. Does anyone have a program that can enlarge a photo without the focus going away?? I have a photo of a car that I am trying to verify the tire size on .. When I enlarge it , the focus goes away... Rolling Eyes

All I need is 2 or 3 photos checked ....No need to download the complete program ...( I don't know how to do that anyway ... Confused Embarassed )

Thanks ..
Bob... Wink

Carnut
Baron

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I'm not up on available programs for resizing up. I use photoshop regularly and to increase size I increase the resolution (pixels/inch) to increase size. If you don't find a solution you can email the images to me and I could give it a try. carnut@carnut.com
Baron

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like replacing parts to find out the problem was only a loose hose clamp. Oh Well, my old Pickup now has new power steering hoses.
Site Admin
Site Admin

User's Age: (70)

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be two places in town that could shorten and balance drive shafts. There is only one left. They charged me $265 to shorten a shaft today. Shocked Dennys say they will build a new one for $320. I guess I am going to have to find another shop.
58 Yeoman
Baron

User's Age: (67)

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a shop in Ottawa, IL make the driveshaft for my 41 pontiac/Caddy engine/Ford rearend back in the early 2000's. I don't know if he is still in business, though. I was debating on installing a T5 in the 58, and I know the shaft isn't going to fit.

Today I sold a 90# Columbian bench vise on ebay, so I had to box it up for FedEx. I'll take it to the terminal tomorrow. One more lift out of the truck, and I'm done with it.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1958 Chevy Yeoman
1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie

Phil
UGLY OLDS
Earl

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
enjenjo wrote:
There used to be two places in town that could shorten and balance drive shafts. There is only one left. They charged me $265 to shorten a shaft today. Shocked Dennys say they will build a new one for $320. I guess I am going to have to find another shop.

I don't know of one in our area that will "shorten" a shaft .. EVERYTHING must be rebuilt / re-tubed .....

Bob.... Wink

UGLY OLDS
Earl

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Carnut wrote:
Bob, I'm not up on available programs for resizing up. I use photoshop regularly and to increase size I increase the resolution (pixels/inch) to increase size. If you don't find a solution you can email the images to me and I could give it a try. carnut@carnut.com

Thanks Carnut ... they are on the way to you ...

Thanks..
Bob... Wink

phat46
Earl

User's Age: (64)

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjenjo wrote:

Frank, I can't believe you don't shorten your own driveshafts. After some of the things you've done that should be a piece o' cake for you.
WZ JUNK
Baron

User's Age: (68)

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjenjo wrote:

Many years ago I helped my brother in law shorten drive shafts. We would grind away the welds on one end and slip out the yoke. Hack saw off the amount that needed to be removed, and then slide the yoke into the shaft, and weld it back together. No lathe, and no balancing. I know at least once we did not index the yoke correctly. That one did not end well. But I do not remember any other problems. Our standards may not have been as high as today, but if something worked we called it good.

There is no way I would try to do this today.

John

Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-2006-Story.html
chimp koose
Earl

User's Age: (55)

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I do driveshafts in the lathe I just cut them to length , face them square and push the end back on using the tailstock .I always machine through the weld with a v shaped tool so I have a straight edge to press together to . If you clock the ends properly there is little chance of a vibration .I would clock the ends by putting a steel rule across the flat surface of the cup ends and sighting them in parallel end to end . Vibration comes from a bent shaft . We would dial in the shaft and check for straight . If I saw .003 or more off center I would heat and quench the driveshaft in spots smaller than a dime to shrink it back to straight . Done lots no problems with vibration . You just need a long enough lathe .
enjenjo
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02 2015, 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phat46 wrote:
enjenjo wrote:

Frank, I can't believe you don't shorten your own driveshafts. After some of the things you've done that should be a piece o' cake for you.

Believe me, before I do that again I will do it myself. I have shortened them in the past, even retubed them myself, but this place normally charged much less than the did this time. My plate is full right now, and I was trying to gain some time. It didn't work.

sirstude
Baron

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 03 2015, 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Crosley

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH. He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us
Arnold
Nobleman

User's Age: (62)

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 03 2015, 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UGLY OLDS wrote:
On another note .. Does anyone have a program that can enlarge a photo without the focus going away?? I have a photo of a car that I am trying to verify the tire size on .. When I enlarge it , the focus goes away... Rolling Eyes

All I need is 2 or 3 photos checked ....No need to download the complete program ...( I don't know how to do that anyway ... Confused Embarassed )

Thanks ..
Bob... Wink

SOooo..I take a photo..AND my 2001 Focus just goes away
Laughing
purplepickup

User's Age: (69)

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 03 2015, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjenjo wrote:

You might try Lukes in Kalamazoo... http://www.lukesparts.com/html/driveshafts.htm . They made the one in my pickup for $75. I supplied the slip yoke and they supplied everything else... but that was a while ago. They're an old dirty shop but do good work. I can pick it up if you do go with them.

enjenjo
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 03 2015, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks George, I book marked that.

They actually made it too short the second time, but the slip joint has enough room to work since there is not much movement between the transfer case and the transmission. I installed it today It fit fine.

I started on another transmission adapter today, and I have come up with a new rule. Rule 1 No matter how big your tools are, they are just slightly too small for the next project. Shocked

phat46
Earl

PostPosted: Thu, Dec 03 2015, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjenjo wrote:
Thanks George, I book marked that.

They actually made it too short the second time, but the slip joint has enough room to work since there is not much movement between the transfer case and the transmission. I installed it today It fit fine.

I started on another transmission adapter today, and I have come up with a new rule. Rule 1 No matter how big your tools are, they are just slightly too small for the next project. Shocked

I could have gotten you a good deal on a bigger drill press...
The die shop I retired from is moving and selling off equipment. A couple weeks ago they sold a HUGE radial drill press about ten feet high, I could walk under the spindle. It must have weighed at least 2000 pounds. After being advertised for weeks they took $1500 for it.
348tripower
Baron

User's Age: (66)

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 04 2015, 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try cutting those drive shafts off with a BIG tubing cutter. It gives a nice clean edge and is at a perfect right angle to the tubing. No need to use a lathe. I did put the yoke end in the lathe to remove the excess tube and get a good undercut for welding it back together. I used a long piece of 1/2 inch flat stock to line up the ends to keep them parallel when putting it back together.
Crosley

User's Age: (63)

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 04 2015, 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waiting. Heat- a/c tech guy to be here this morning. to repair the Heat-pump.

40*F outside. Not bad in the house. My wife has been fighting a sinus - cold deal for over a week. A chilly house is not helping her. We have smalll room heater, and the oven is used too

It's not your age, It's the mileage on the body that adds up
UGLY OLDS
Earl

PostPosted: Fri, Dec 04 2015, 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crosley wrote:
waiting. Heat- a/c tech guy to be here this morning. to repair the Heat-pump.

40*F outside. Not bad in the house. My wife has been fighting a sinus - cold deal for over a week. A chilly house is not helping her. We have smalll room heater,
Quote:
and the oven is used too

Careful using the oven for heat ... They eat a lot of oxygen without anyone realizing it .......Maybe leave a window open a little for air Question Idea

Bob..... Wink

View previous topic :: View next topic
Post new topic      Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Rodding Roundtable Forum Index -> Rodder's Roundtable All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251  Next
Page 247 of 251

Jump to: