Homemade shop tools
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Rodding Roundtable -> Tech Archive

#1: Homemade shop tools Author: Land Yacht PostPosted: Thu, Mar 08 2007, 2:08 pm
    —
This is a very simple trick. I used it to hang my new waterpump on my '99 S-10 pick-up, but it could be used on anything. The problem is that the mounting flats on the block for the pump are out of the field of vision while you are holding the pump and trying to get it into position. Add to that, I like using RTV on the gaskets, getting the pump with the bolts, RTV, and gaskets into position without the gaskets falling off and smearing RTV on anything in the way is difficult. So instead of hanging it with the bolts, make some studs to hang the pump off of. I used some bolts from the hardware store with the same threads/diameter as the actual bolts but about 1 inch longer. Cut the heads off, and cut a slot into the tops so they can be turned with a screwdriver. Thread the studs into the block. Coat the gaskets with RTV, slide them over the studs against the block, then slide the waterpump over the studs. Then replace each stud with the actual mounting bolt one by one, and torque down. Made the install very easy, no wrestling or cussing was required.

[img][/img]

#2:  Author: Charlie Chops 1940Location: Muskegon, MI PostPosted: Thu, Mar 08 2007, 3:59 pm
    —
Neat idea.

Charlie

#3:  Author: sirstudeLocation: East Helena MT PostPosted: Thu, Mar 08 2007, 5:35 pm
    —
I have done the same thing for years mounting transmissions. Just makes it much handier.

Good tip

Doug

#4:  Author: paul5456Location: Midland Park, NJ PostPosted: Sat, Mar 10 2007, 10:30 pm
    —
works great on oil pans. I aways put on pans this way if the motor is in the car.

#5:  Author: CrosleyLocation: Aridzona PostPosted: Sat, Mar 10 2007, 11:19 pm
    —
good idear for many applications..... I've used this for decades on automatic trannys...... pump install , valve body , etc.

Cool

Rodding Roundtable -> Tech Archive

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1