Fraud on credit cards
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Rodding Roundtable -> Rodder's Roundtable

#1: Fraud on credit cards Author: CrosleyLocation: Aridzona PostPosted: Sat, Nov 11 2017, 10:14 am
    —
Just a reminder :

I hope you folks watch your accounts and statements.

My card was hit with a popular fraudulent PayPal charge. It is not from PayPal , the scammers use various company names.

if you find a charge you suspect; google search it. I did this and a large amount of information is out there on it.

#2:  Author: butch27Location: Garden City, MI PostPosted: Sat, Nov 11 2017, 3:56 pm
    —
Thanks --I order lots of parts from different companies,...

#3:  Author: CrosleyLocation: Aridzona PostPosted: Sat, Nov 11 2017, 8:35 pm
    —
It has been a couple years since my last fraud situation on my card...

Talking to "my" bank security person with a deep off shore accent... We went thru security questions that you answer on your profile.

Then: he started asking me what I label: "test questions",

Former addresses. We have lived here for 18+ years. I told him I dont remember former addresses.

Next one was: I thought he was (deep accent) asking me what color my Nissan Ultima was. I told him I dont own a Nissan

He asked me my last work position for ##### : A company I have never heard of. I told him I have never worked for that company

Next one was about who my Auto loan was with and the payment amount. I told him I dont know the amount, it is auto pay and the loan company was none of his business. He persisted on the auto loan amount

At that point I was getting whizzed off and told him that.

So, my card was cancelled, new card on the way because my card has been compromised. I refrained from calling him Captain Obvious.

Shocked

#4:  Author: kb426Location: Kansas PostPosted: Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:59 am
    —
I've had 3 new cards in the last year. These all have the chip that was supposed to be better. Almost always, there's a charge from something in Europe. Sometimes they call and tell me my card is pulled and a new one is on the way. They never tell me what happened. I just figure it's the way it is now. I check my account every couple of days.

#5:  Author: CrosleyLocation: Aridzona PostPosted: Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:49 am
    —
kb426 wrote:
I've had 3 new cards in the last year. These all have the chip that was supposed to be better. Almost always, there's a charge from something in Europe. Sometimes they call and tell me my card is pulled and a new one is on the way. They never tell me what happened. I just figure it's the way it is now. I check my account every couple of days.

I've had it both ways. Credit card compy calls me & I call them. The Harbor Freight fiasco couple yrs ago. My bank called me, told me new cards were on the way. I prefer that method, simpler than what I went thru saturday

This one yesterday was a charge from PayPal Tire n Tint for 1.98 ... I had no idea PayPal had an Auto store.

Freind of mine from high school... about 4 yrs ago. Noticed a 11.98 dollar charge on her statement. she asked her husband: he says ... nope.

Turns out her deal was from Russia and had been on their account for several months.

#6:  Author: chimp kooseLocation: Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada PostPosted: Sun, Nov 12 2017, 6:42 pm
    —
I had an email the other day from royal bank of Canada telling me there was a freeze on my online account and requiring me to log in and clear it up . I have never in my life had an RBC account . someone out there fishing I guess.

#7:  Author: kb426Location: Kansas PostPosted: Sun, Nov 12 2017, 6:55 pm
    —
Most of the charges I've had, haven't been large. My thought was the thief thought if it was small, it would go un-noticed. However, how about they wait a month or two and if it doesn't get caught, they hit the account for a large charge and vanish. You have 30 days to report so unless you go on a long vacation to somewhere with no services, you should catch it.

#8:  Author: UGLY OLDSLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Sun, Nov 12 2017, 7:06 pm
    —
We seem to be getting a lot of the "IRS Scam" calls ...I let them go through their complete spiel & then tell them .....
" Boy-O-Boy...Am I happy you called ...I want you get help me find my lost refund from 2 years ago " .. Shocked

Crickets...Click.... Idea Rolling Eyes Laughing

Bob.. Wink

#9:  Author: lofat46Location: Bloomingdale, Illinois PostPosted: Mon, Nov 13 2017, 9:50 am
    —
UGLY OLDS wrote:
We seem to be getting a lot of the "IRS Scam" calls ...I let them go through their complete spiel & then tell them .....
" Boy-O-Boy...Am I happy you called ...I want you get help me find my lost refund from 2 years ago " .. Shocked

Bob.. Wink

Bob, I love it! I sometimes like to string them along until they get P.O.'d and hang up on me. About 4 years ago we noticed a charge of of $5.98 showed up on our statement for about 3 months. When checked it was a charge in Japan for some sort of on-line video game account. My bank has also replaced cards for me at least 3 times in the last 5 years due to erroneous charges. I got mixed up in the Home Depot fiasco a couple years ago.

#10:  Author: CrosleyLocation: Aridzona PostPosted: Mon, Nov 13 2017, 8:17 pm
    —
UGLY OLDS wrote:

Bob.. Wink

I've received many of the bogus "local" phone scam callers... They use a fake number that is the same as your area code and the first 3 digits of your phone number.

If I decide to answer the phone, which is seldom: These guys will ask If I am the home owner. I tell them "you have reached Amway. Would you like to place your Amway order? "" They hang up

Twisted Evil

#11:  Author: idrivejunkLocation: Springdale AR PostPosted: Tue, Nov 14 2017, 7:20 am
    —
I file credit cards under "Why would anyone want that?" and only answer calls from known contacts. My own number has called me twice. I answered once to see if I was trying to get a hold of myself. Laughing

Rodding Roundtable -> Rodder's Roundtable

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1